Sheila Norton founded the Ballitore camogie club in March 1934 with the Kilkenny colours, black and amber, and the club were defeated junior finalists in 1940.
Revived in 1980 and using the St. Laurence’s colours and name the club won the junior championship and league. The club went on to win the Intermediate championship in 1989, with a victory over Broadford which prevented Broadford from winning 11 in-a-row. Eight of the Laurence’s team were under 18 on the day. Two 14-year-olds played on the St. Laurence’s team that day also, twins Ruth and Naomi Treacy.
Patricia Keatley, Melanie Treacy and Michelle Aspell were selected on the Kildare camogie team of the century.
The Camogie Association founded in 1904 is the organisation which promotes and regulates Camogie in Ireland.
In 1932, twenty-eight years following the foundation of the Camogie Association, the first All-Ireland championship was played. The Tailteann Games of 1928 and 1932 whetted the appetite of players for competition of a higher standard than that provided at club level. Ten counties entered for the inaugural All-Ireland championship which was organised on an open draw basis. Mayo man, Seán O’Duffy, donated a silver cup, known as the O’Duffy Cup, for the championship.
Facebook is the Main ONLINE Notice Board for the St. Laurence’s Camogie Club, Please LIKE & FOLLOW.